- Can a student participating in the IB Diploma program get the high school diploma given by the Ministry of National Education?
Yes, by applying the “International Baccalaureate program weekly course schedule” of the Board of Education, they are also entitled to receive the high school diploma of the Ministry of National Education.
- In which years of high school education is the IB Diploma Program applied?
The IB Diploma program is a two-year program (Grades 11 and 12) designed for the last two years of high school education. There are also schools in our country that implement the program in the 10th and 11th grades.
- When are the IB Diploma Program exams held?
IB exams are held in Northern hemisphere countries in May and in Southern hemisphere countries in November. There are schools in our country that apply the exams in November.
- Can students who qualify for an IB Diploma settle in to university without examination in Turkey?
No. All students who are citizens of the Republic of Turkey and who want to settle into a university in Turkey must take the YKS (Higher Education Entrance Examination) and get a certain score. On the other hand, foreign students have to take SAT or the exams organized by universities.
- Is there a difference between the contents of IB Diploma Program courses and the contents of MEB courses?
As of December 2000, the Ministry of National Education approved the implementation of the IB Diploma Program for schools accredited by the IB Organization. The principles and details have been published in the 2519 issue of the Journal of Notifications of the MEB Board of Education. According to the Ministry of National Education Weekly Course Schedule, all compulsory courses taught in 11th and 12th grades are also taught in IB classes. IB Diploma Program and MEB curriculum subjects overlap at approximately 85%. The subjects of the lessons are the same. It just differs in application and function. In the measurement and evaluation processes, the cognitive development of the students is important.
In addition to MEB achievements, TOK course (Information Theory), CAS (Creativity, Social Activity and Community Service) and Extended Essay (Graduation Thesis) are differentiated approaches of the IB Diploma program.
- Do IB Diploma Program students study in the same class with non-IB students?
No. IB students have different classes. However, some of the lessons required to be taken in order to get a MEB diploma. These lessons can be taken together with non-IB students.
- Are the course hours of students included in the IB Program longer than that of non-IB students?
No, the weekly course hours of IB students and non-IB students are same.
- How is student selection done for the IB Diploma Program?
At the end of the 10th grade, according to the decision of the council of teachers, students who have sufficient level of English knowledge (at least 70), and skills; researcher, open-minded, balanced, sensitive, knowledgeable, responsible, brave, thinking, academic discipline and honesty; and who do not have a grade below 60 can be included in the IB program.
- Can students choose a field in the IBDP program?
There are 6 different subject groups in the IB Diploma program. Students must choose one course from each group. Instead of the 6th Group (Art Group), students can choose a lesson from 3rd or 4th group and create their fields.
Group 1: Mother tongue
Group 2: Foreign language
Group 3: Social Sciences
Group 4: Science
Group 5 Mathematics
Group 6: Art
- What are the requirements to get an IB Diploma?
The courses to be taken in IB and passing requirements are as follows;
- A total of 6 courses will be taken, one course from each area. The pass requirement for each course is 4 out of 7. This means that the minimum passing grade to earn an IB Diploma in total is 24 for 6 courses in total. Grade 4 is evaluated between 45-55 according to the 100 system. However, if students get 3 in one lesson, they can make up for it by taking 5 in another lesson.
- Students must acquire 7 CAS (Creativity, Activity, Service) achievements. In order to receive a diploma, students must complete CAS studies.
- The student must successfully complete TOK (Theory of Knowledge) and EE (Extended Essay) studies.
- What is the highest diploma score that IBDP students can get?
The highest score for each course is 7. The maximum total score that a student can get from courses is 42. With the maximum 3 points that students can get from the Theory of Knowledge and the Extended Essay, the total diploma score is 45.
- What are the achievements of a student who completes the IB Diploma Program (IBDP)?
IB is a high-level academic education program at the high school level in terms of preparation for a world-class university. It trains students who are curious, constantly asking questions, learn to learn, know their identity and culture well, are open to other cultures, can easily communicate and understand different cultures around the world, think globally and have an open mind. For this, it is one of the most important goals of the IB Diploma program to develop skills to solve existing problems by associating these subjects with different disciplines, together with the course contents seen at academic level within the scope of the program.
- How are teachers selected for IB education?
Our teachers are chosen between the teachers who have sufficient professional knowledge and intellectual depth, have the knowledge and experience to coach and guide students in discussion environments, can use their English skills effectively in the classroom, adopt and apply the understanding of student-centered education, are open to innovations, can continuously improve themselves, have participated in IB teacher trainings, can measure students in different cognitive areas in the assessment and evaluation processes and use technology actively.
In addition, IB teachers follow the teacher information sharing center called “My IB” and constantly share with other teachers around the world.
- Can a student who chooses the IB program leave the program?
According to the Ministry of Education, courses are defined annually. For this reason, course changes cannot be made before the end of the academic year. At the end of the 11th grade, they can leave the IB program and continue their education with the MEB curriculum as 12th grade.
- If an IBDP student fails a course and does not get a diploma, can s/he take the exam again from the course s/he failed?
Yes, they can, IB exams are held every 6 months, in May and November, and students can take the exam either at their own school or by registering for the exam at another school where they are allowed to take the exam. Students can take the exam (retake) twice from the same course.
- What are the advantages of students with an IB diploma in terms of entrance requirements to universities abroad?
Since the IB Diploma Program is a program implemented in more than 150 countries with a common curriculum, it gives a diploma that is valid all over the world. Being an IB program graduate is a reason for preference for universities in student selection. Most universities accept IB students, especially in America, Europe, Canada and Australia, on the condition that they have a certain grade point average.
- What are the advantages of students with an IB diploma over domestic universities?
The vast majority of private universities in Turkey gives scholarships or vertical transmission right according to their success to the IB students, You can find more detailed information about the subject from the link http://www.dogaibschools.com/ib-sonrasi-egitim/.
- Do students studying in the IB diploma program necessarily continue their education abroad?
With its educational processes and approach to education, the IB program aims to provide students with the necessary skills throughout their lives. For this reason, it aims to raise individuals with high self-confidence, good written and verbal use of their native language and English, entrepreneurial, different thinking and intellectual depth by educating students as a whole. For this reason, IB graduate students can easily adapt to domestic and foreign universities. The educational philosophy of IB is a motivating factor for students. The gains in the process add value to the student. The IB diploma program expands the vision of students and diversifies the departments and occupational alternatives they can choose at the university. In universities abroad, it is a valuable diploma that can open the doors of many respected universities. However, 60% of IB students studying in Turkey prefer universities in Turkey. The IB diploma is to provide scholarships to almost all private universities in Turkey.